Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Priests and Kings



Don't you hate it when people oversimplify? As soon as somebody whittles down the infinitely complex human experience into bullet points it raises the hair on the back of my neck!

So I was thinking the other day. There's two kinds of people in the world, priests and kings. Are you a priest or a king? Hmmmm… which side of your brain is more active? Hmmmm... perhaps a CAT scan will answer the question… or perhaps you should be asking a different question… or perhaps I'm just making this all up to make my illustration here seem more mysterious than it is!

Anyway, I like the color in this illustration. The color theory class I've been taking has been hugely helpful. My color sense is much more sophisticated now, which isn't saying much because I was clueless before.

After I painted this I thought about where I had seen this palette used before and it reminded me a lot of the color in the Beavis and Butthead videogame for Sega Genesis. I rented it once, probably fifteen years ago now ( YIKES! ), when I was just a wee lad. I just remember seeing a lot of violet-grays and baby poop yellow blaring from my TV set and it producing a pleasant sensation in me. This could all be my memory playing tricks on me though. I do distinctly remember the colors being more saturated and warm and muddy ( in a good way ) in the video game than the TV show.

If I remember correctly the Sega Genesis had a smaller color palette than its competition, the Super Nintendo. Most Genesis games were heavy on the earth tones too. I remember playing Super Nintendo at my friend Peter's house and being bombarded by deep blues and violets that I never saw at home on my Genesis.

Why the hell am I talking about the color palettes on obsolete video game systems? No one, not even myself, cares about it. Well, thanks for checking in… I love you all.

No comments: