Friday, November 13, 2009

It's Good To Be King



I came up with this character when I was brainstorming ideas for a children's book. I thought the idea of a king with no limbs was funny / deep at the time. I don't know if I do anymore. It's probably been thought of before. Monty Python had the black night with no limbs in The Holy Grail.

The night before I drew this I did read a short story by Italo Calvino about a king who refuses to get off of his thrown and how the things he hears and doesn't hear while waiting to die on his throne makes him paranoid maybe that's where it came from.

I don't know if anybody has tried writing a children's book but every time I come up with an idea I really like I have a voice pop into my head telling me that it'll get the book rejected by publishers for being vulgar or something. It's messed up that I'm censoring myself like this, but I've gone to the book store to look at what actually gets published and all of it's so bland it gives me the fear that anything original will be deemed inappropriate, except that Giving Tree book by Shel Silverstein, that book is twisted. It's not even written for kids it's written for bitter parents who regret having a kid.

Anyways, it's a ridiculous fear that I'm trying to shake. I can self publish the thing if nobody else will and besides I have kid nephews that come up with ideas way more fucked than anything I can cook up. Everything they draw involves someone getting bitten in two.

No comments: